Roamly logo

Choosing the right RV insurance for your rig type

Whether you’re a full timer living on a luxurious set of wheels or a weekender planning your next getaway, finding the right RV insurance is crucial. 

RV insurance combines elements of both an auto and homeowners policy, covering the unique needs of a recreational vehicle. If you’re renting out your RV, on a site like Outdoorsy, you’ll also need an RV insurer that allows it in the first place. Like, Roamly!  

Basic RV insurance for motorized RVs

Unlike travel trailers or camper RVs that you’d hitch to a truck, motorized RVs are self-sufficient vehicles you drive and, yes, even live in. They have very similar basic coverages to those you’d find on a standard auto policy. For instance:

  1. Bodily injury (BI) and property damage (PD) liability covers the other driver if you’re at fault in the accident. It’s required in every state, except New Hampshire. 

  2. Comprehensive and collision covers your RV against auto crashes, vandalism, theft, etc., regardless of fault.

  3. Medical payments coverage pays for things like hospital bills if you or your passengers are injured in an accident. 

  4. Underinsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UMC) steps in if you’re hit by a driver with not enough insurance or no insurance at all. Hit-and-runs are a perfect example. Yikes.

As you’ll see, each RV type comes with a unique set of risks, and the type you plan to buy may need higher coverage limits or extra protection. 

The Three Motorized RV classes

Motorized RVs fall under three classes — A, B, and C. Class A motorhomes are the largest and, interestingly, Class Bs are the smallest. Class C RVs are somewhere in the middle. We’ll break down the different types of RVs and the additional coverages worth considering for each.

Here’s the rub:

Class A insurance 

Anywhere from 21 to 45 feet long, Class A RVs have all the perks of a home and automobile. Spacious living areas. Entertainment systems. Kitchen appliances. A washer and dryer. Bedrooms. And they can sleep up to eight people. With all of these awesome amenities, it’s important you’re adequately protected. 

Here are the Class A motorhome insurance protections worth considering:

Contents Coverage

Much like a home or renters policy, this coverage helps replace your personal belongings if they’re damaged, on or off the road. 

Sound System Coverage

To be a spacious home away from home — or simply, a home — it’s not uncommon for Class A motorhomes to be equipped to the nines with sound and entertainment systems. Which is why some RV insurers offer specialized coverage to pay to replace sound systems damaged in covered accidents. Not bad.  

Full time Protection

Plan on living in your RV at least six months out of the year? This one’s definitely worth thinking about. It comes with coverages that protect you while your RV is parked. Things like:

  1. Vacation liability: Say a guest is injured inside the RV and sues. Or a stray ball breaks a neighbor’s window. If you’re held legally responsible, personal liability can help cover medical and legal costs, or repairs. 

  2. Medical payments: It covers said guest’s medical bills injuries, regardless of whether or not you’re responsible.

  3. Loss assessment: If you have an HOA, this pays for fees for damaged common areas. 

Not every RV insurer offers full time insurance, especially for non-motorized travel trailers. But Roamly does! You can expect competitive full time RV insurance rates for not only travel trailers but also Class A, B, and C RVs. 

Emergency Expense Coverage

If, heaven forbid, your motorhome’s totalled, emergency expense coverage can cover hotel and transportation costs while it’s out of commission.  

Increased Comp and Collision Limits

As we now know, comp and collision covers damage to the vehicle itself. Class A insurance can extend comp & collision to cover appliances, like washer/dryers, plumbing, refrigerators, cooking systems, etc. If you’re involved in an accident or the victim of vandalism, comp & collision can help pay to repair or replace them. 

Class B Insurance

A Class B RV is usually a standard campervan for the weekend warrior, but more and more people are enjoying them for permanent living. Because they’re on the smaller side and have bare essentials in the way of kitchen appliances and entertainment systems, campervan insurance typically has fewer coverages and lower coverage limits. 

Coverages to consider for a Class B RV include:

  1. Contents coverage

  2. Vacation liability

  3. Emergency expense coverage

  4. Increased comp and collision limits

And guess what? Roamly offers some of the most competitive campervan insurance rates out there. (Hey, we couldn’t resist). Visit and get a free quote to see for yourself. 

Class C insurance

Built on a smaller chassis, a Class C RV is a great, more affordable alternative to a Class A. It’s essentially a smaller version of it. Coverage is bound to look very similar, too — but with lower limits and more affordable premiums. 

Class C RV insurance may include:

  1. Contents coverage

  2. full time protection

  3. Vacation liability

  4. Medical payments

  5. Emergency expense coverage

  6. Increased comp and collision limits

Towable trailers

Towable trailers run the gamut of fifth-wheels, travel trailers, truck campers, and toy haulers. Because they themselves aren’t motorized, coverages like BI and PD liability, comp and collision, medical payment, etc., aren’t necessary. That’s because any mishaps on the road would be covered by the towing vehicle’s auto policy. 

It’s not to say RV insurance isn’t necessary for towable trailers. If, for instance, you’re financing or leasing your trailer, there’s a good chance your lender will require you to insure it. Some campgrounds require it, too.

Livable trailers

Fifth wheels, travel trailers, and truck campers afford temporary digs when you’re on the road. They differ in terms of square-footage, levels of amenities, and how they affix to the towing vehicle. Truck campers tend to be the most expensive, followed by fifth wheels and travel trailers. Depending on how deep your pocket is, all three make for a perfect getaway. 

Whether it’s travel trailer, truck camper, or fifth wheel insurance, four coverages to give thought to include:

  1. Total loss (for repairs or replacement)

  2. Contents coverage

  3. Vacation liability

  4. Emergency expense coverage

And pardon yet another shameless plug, but we’d be remiss not to mention that Roamly offers really good rates (no, REALLY) for fifth wheels and stationary trailers.

Toy haulers

Toy haulers are exactly as they sound. They haul big toys like ATVs, motorcycles, speedboats, the whole shebang. 

Because they’re not something you’d typically live in (unless the stars will be your blanket for a night), toy hauler insurance typically doesn’t include vacation liability, contents coverage, and emergency expense coverage aren’t really necessary. 

The main coverage you’ll need is total loss to help replace or repair your beloved hauler if it’s damaged. 

Get the right RV insurance with Roamly

Whether you're a full timer, weekender — or somewhere in-between-er — Roamly has got you covered with some of the most competitive rates out there. That’s right. We said it. You’re even covered if you rent out your RV! That’s nothing to shake a stick at. 

So, get a quick, free quote at or by clicking the green button at the bottom of this page We offer everything from travel trailer insurance to coverage for your Class A motorhome away from home. We’ll ask a few simple questions about you and your RV, and help arrange coverages fit for you and your wallet. 


Back to Learning Center
Roamly logo

Roamly Insurance Group, LLC ("Roamly") is a licensed general agent for affiliated and non-affiliated insurance companies. Roamly is licensed as an agency in all states in which products are offered. Availability and qualification for coverage, terms, rates, and discounts may vary by jurisdiction. We do not in any way imply that the materials on the site or products are available in jurisdictions in which we are not licensed to do business or that we are soliciting business in any such jurisdiction. Coverage under your insurance policy is subject to the terms and conditions of that policy and is ultimately the decision of the buyer.

Policies provided by Roamly are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company, Progressive Insurance Company, Safeco Insurance, Foremost Insurance Company, National General Insurance, Allstate Insurance Company, Mobilitas Insurance Company, HIPPO Insurance Services, Lyndon Southern Insurance Company and others.

© 2023 Roamly All rights reserved

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service