Roamly logo
Couple enjoying an RV campervan

Personal RV insurance

Personal RV insurance

RVs are not only vehicles, they’re your home away from home. They offer a way to pick up and go without the rigmarole of dealing with air travel. RV life on the road affords unique experiences — and unique risks. Luckily, Roamly offers personal RV insurance specially designed to cover you against those risks. 

What is personal RV insurance?

Personal RV includes many of the same coverages as auto insurance. We’re talking liability, collision, comprehensive, medical payments, and uninsured motorist coverage, to name a few. 

Here’s the skinny. 

Liability coverage

Every state except New Hampshire requires you to get liability if you want to legally drive. This helps protect the other person if you’re found at-fault in an accident, so that you’re not footing hefty medical bills or repair costs. 

Liability insurance breaks down twofold: 

  1. Bodily injury liability: if a pedestrian or other driver’s injured, bodily injury can cover their medical bills and loss of income. 

  2. Property damage liability: if you damage someone’s property, like another driver’s car or a neighbor’s fence, property damage can help pay for the repairs. 

The rest of the coverages are optional. When you get a quote at, we’ll help you find a plan that is fit for you and your wallet. Ultimately, you call the shots. 

Comprehensive coverage

This covers damages that are not the result of a collision. Things like vandalism, hail damage, theft, or damage from a fallen tree. Comprehensive isn’t required by law, but if you’re financing or leasing your RV, there’s a good chance your lender will require it.

Collision coverage

Collision covers your vehicles if you crash into a car or object, like a median or fence. And it covers you regardless of fault. It’s important to mention that you need to have comprehensive coverage before you can add collision. 

Medical payments coverage

Medical payments coverage can pay for hospital bills and other medical costs if you or your passengers are injured in an accident. Again, you’re covered regardless of fault. 

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage

If the other driver is at fault and doesn’t have enough or any insurance, these coverages can be invaluable. They help pay for repairs to your RV or injuries to you or your passengers if the other driver can’t. Several states even require it. 

Roadside assistance

Like auto insurance, roadside assistance comes to the rescue if you’re marooned on the side of the road. It includes tire changes, jumpstarts, fuel delivery, and tows. 

Extra coverage

While the above are “standard” on an RV policy, the following coverages offer a little more padding:

  1. Vacation liability for accidentally damaging someone’s property outside your RV or if you’re held liable for a guest’s injury.

  2. No-deductible glass coverage covers your cracked windshield — without you having to pay a deductible for coverage to kick in.  

Full-time RV insurance

Full-timer RV coverage is ideal if you live in your RV at least six months out of the year. It comes with all the coverages above — plus many of the ones you’d find in a homeowners policy. You can expect to find the following on a full-timer plan from Roamly:

  1. Loss assessment covers HOA fees if yours charge you related repairs on your RV site. 

  2. Emergency expense coverage helps pay for temporary housing if your RV is damaged by a covered incident and is no longer livable.

  3. Adjacent structures coverage helps cover any unattached structures on your site (porches, carports, decks).

  4. Debris removal covers the cost of clearing out any rubble caused by a covered incident. 

On top of all of those great coverages, a full-timer policy comes with what is called a “diminishing deductible benefit.” Every year you don’t have a claim means certain deductibles on your policy will be reduced by 25 percent. A deductible is what you pay out of pocket before coverage kicks in. That’s a pretty sweet deal right there. 

When do you need personal insurance vs. commercial insurance?

The difference between personal and commercial RV insurance depends on how the RV is used. 

If you have one or two RVs for family trips or vacations, then you’d want a personal RV insurance policy. If you have a fleet of three or more RVs to run a business, you’d have to purchase a commercial policy. 

An RV used for business needs a separate policy because there are greater risks. Yours may be used to rent out to people, haul work equipment, or transport people — none of which would be covered by a personal policy. 

Another way to gauge whether you need commercial RV insurance is who owns the RVs. If they’re owned by the business, then they’ll definitely need a separate policy. 

Can you rent out your RV with personal insurance?

Most RV insurance companies will not let you rent your RV on a personal policy. You’d have to purchase a separate — and more expensive — commercial policy. But not with Roamly!

We’re the only digital RV insurance company that lets you rent out your RV on sites like Outdoorsy thanks to our personal policy that won’t drop your coverage for renting.

What is the average cost of personal RV insurance?

RV insurance costs depend on the type of trailer or RV you have, how you use it, and how often. It also boils down to the types of coverage, coverage limits, and deductibles you have on your plan. 

Want to know how much it’ll cost to insure yours? Get a quick, free quote at We’ll ask a few easy questions and show you plans worth considering.

Back to Learning Center
Roamly logo

Roamly Insurance Group, LLC ("Roamly") is a licensed general agent for affiliated and non-affiliated insurance companies. Roamly is licensed as an agency in all states in which products are offered. Availability and qualification for coverage, terms, rates, and discounts may vary by jurisdiction. We do not in any way imply that the materials on the site or products are available in jurisdictions in which we are not licensed to do business or that we are soliciting business in any such jurisdiction. Coverage under your insurance policy is subject to the terms and conditions of that policy and is ultimately the decision of the buyer.

Policies provided by Roamly are underwritten by Spinnaker Insurance Company, Progressive Insurance Company, Safeco Insurance, Foremost Insurance Company, National General Insurance, Allstate Insurance Company, Mobilitas Insurance Company, HIPPO Insurance Services, Lyndon Southern Insurance Company and others.

© 2023 Roamly All rights reserved

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service